Monday, February 23, 2009

Lending You My Lent Scheme

"I Choose You" --Jaheim's version of Willie Hutch's song

...there ain't nothin' I wouldn't do for ya / change my life so I can live it for ya...

Tomorrow, February 25, begins Lent. It will last for 46 days, April 11.

I have never given up something for Lent. I consider myself a Christian and I don't know why I haven't acknowledged it, but I just never have. Christina always gives up something, even though it sometimes end before the 40 days is up.

There are some things I would have really been interested in giving up this year. However, I gave them up in the spirit of the New Year and I have been doing a fairly decently maintaining my abstinence.

I wondered then, could I start something new and categorize it as the cessation of not doing something. You get it? For example, I would start meditating everyday (which Christina know she needs to do--yes I put you out) and say I gave up not meditating everyday.

I would like to stop using profanity, forgetting to pray, and eating meat. The last is not going to happen soon. Being in college does not allow me creative ways to find the protein I need if I should give up meat. I will give up profanity via prayer and meditation sessions every morning.

I shall also start working out! I just thought about it. I have been looking for a good time to start. I have tests this week and I didn't want to bother but I think that I will start tomorrow. I am giving up not working out.

Lent is not really intended for us to give up some vice of our own. We are supposed to spend the time praying, fasting, and abstaining from a negative or participating in a positive activity or habit that improves the world.

I shall justify more prayer and exercise as my contribution to good in the world by being a healthier, nicer person who doesn't hog all the food.

No comments: