Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Forever, For Always, For Love

"Tonight is the Night" by Betty Wright

...tonight is the night / that you make me your woman...

The Vagina Monologues will be performed at Temple University this Saturday and Brittany and I will be going to see it. Brittany's best friend (and my best friend by proxy), Katherine, is performing in it and I am elated that I finally get to see this show.

I have read so much about the Monologues, watched some performances on television, discussed them in different classes, and generally daydreamed about seeing it myself.

It appeals to my femininity and my feminism. I love being a woman and all that it encompasses culturally but I also resent much of the cultural expectations and prejudices, hence my feminism. Additionally, the obsession and defamation of the female genitalia the world over is an interesting common disease. From colloquial (and derogatory) terms like "pussy" used to denote a lack of masculinity or timidity to the tragedy of female genital mutilation, there is a fascination, a fear, and a disrespect of the female parts, left wholly unaddressed in the patriarchal, misogynistic society.

More after the show....

No comments: