Monday, December 14, 2009

Scenes Rise When I Give the Word

"Weekend Love" by Dwele

...it's a dream to see / you here with me / and after all this time / you're still fine / for the weekend...


Today must qualify as the first official day of winter break, since December commencement ceremonies all took place on Saturday.  The university is officially closed.

I awoke this morning, with nothing in particular to do, no where in particular to go.  It feels so weird to not have to report to class, to work, to a meeting, or to the library to crank out some work.


I don't like feeling idle and I feel incredibly idle.  All the activity has just been sucked out of my life with the end of the semester.  I read some articles and wrote some pretend reports on them just to give myself something to do.

Tomorrow, I am going to the Elegba Folklore Society office downtown and do some volunteer work, help them organize for their holiday activities bringing enlightenment and culture to the African American community.

On Wednesday, I'm going to the Fan Free Clinic to sign up for some hours to do volunteer work as well.  I don't want to just sit here all break.  My job is fakin' liiiiiiiiike with them hours.  I knew since I worked for the university, my hours would dwindle with the end of the semester, but damn son.

I am bored, but I don't want to waste time, sitting, thinking about what I want to do, planning to do it.  I had a few projects in my head that could not get done during school that I will definitely engage in now.  The most important of these activities will be my volunteering.  Service is the rent we pay for living.  Believe that.


And I need to volunteer to keep myself focused.  I need to see and work with the people who I want to serve for the rest of my life.  It would behoove me to interact, to see what their needs are, to measure the impediments of the lack of resources, and to gauge what I can do.

I never want to "get out", succeed, "make it" and feel accomplished such that I can rebuke those around me.  I can't stand that about people but I especially hate in Black people.  Black Americans and Black Africans are guilty of this and I think it contributes to the meek condition we are stuck in.



This arrogance that accompanies success is poisonous.  I know some people, who have seen the rage of poverty, made it out and done well for themselves, only to turn around and forget the struggle all together, criticize those that surrounded them when they too were trying to get by...Tell them they are less than because they have not made it out where I have.

Any bad thing that happens to me in the context of my interpersonal relationships, on the job, in the street, etc., it motivates me to do better for those I come across.  My misfortune and conquering my misfortunes will never lead me to criticize those still stuck, but lead me to be a leader, motivate and provide resources for them to follow me out too.

Suffering + Overcoming + Zainab = extraordinary empathy and action.


When I suffer, I am aware others are suffering, and it helps me suffer less when I work to help others.  Empathy seems like a logical response to misfortune.  Judgment seems so foreign.

So, for break, I'll be on the new job hunt/volunteer grind.  Inform me if you have any ideas, connections, suggestions, projects, etc.


[Doin' it for Africa]...all day.

No comments: