Saturday, January 24, 2009

Bodies Don't Move

"Sand Castle Disco" by Solange

"I'm a cool ol' Jane with a skip on my feet / I play tough as nails with my heart on my sleeve / I'm nothin' but a sandcastle / Baby don't blow me away...

This will be short. I'm in the library reading for class. I have 150 pages to get through by Tuesday for 2 classes. I love school, I love to learn, I think education is important, but college sure does know how to test a Negro's will and discipline.

I've been reading since 11:30 this morning for my Perception class. It is interesting and really boring simultaneously. It is the psychological study of how we perceive all the stimuli in our environment. I have to learn how people see, why they see what they see, how people hear, why they hear what they hear, etc.

No two people perceive the world the same way. Even in the same environment, two different people may see, hear, feel different things based on the life knowledge the individual is working with. It is interesting but the details, theories, laws, etc. are the boring part.

I will be in this library until 7 or 8 tonight. I will go out tonight, but it'll be a short social experience because I have to study much more tomorrow. I am going to the third world democracy tomorrow morning. It was Lima's birthday yesterday! He turned 18. I called the house and sang happy birthday to him on the answering machine.

Then I called him later in the evening and spoke to my Daddy for a couple of minutes. Lima hates to talk on the phone but he said a few words to me. He knew it was his birthday but he doesn't fully understand the concept. His birthday isn't just his birthday. When he answered the phone, he said "Happy Birthday Zainab. I am 18 years old." My Daddy and I laughed so hard at that.

He is so cute. He is having a birthday party on the 31st and I wasn't going to be able to go, but I think I will so as to reinforce to him that his birthday is important.

Back to the study room. The third floor of the library is the best, especially if you can procure a study room.

Baby, I know you do that to all the girls / You know that I'm fragile / Bay-ba-ba-baby, don't blow me away...

No comments: