Sunday, January 17, 2010

Redemption Song


"Dream [Really] Big" by Jazmine Sullivan


.... i gotta dream big / cuz when it happens / it's gon' happen real quick / i gotta move fast / cuz when it happens / i can't let it go past / only get one chance...

Happy New Year again boo boos!  I am at work.  That is right, I am at work, typing this blog.  I say that only because the reality of this situation has not fully registered so I am just reminding myself I am employed.  This feels like a movie sometimes.

Don't worry.  The kids will be here soon and I'll be heading to my classroom, putting my laptop to sleep, ignoring twitter, all my text messages, and phone calls.  I don't take anything with me in that classroom.  Those children need my undivided attention.

And I give it to them.  They are so adorable.  Bad as hell, of course, but children still.  Some of them just want attention, coming from homes and larger environments that is not equipped to recognize them as individuals.  They misbehave, as they have learned it is a guaranteed way to get attention.


This is definitely a breakthrough.  God is funny.  They say if you want to make God laugh, tell Her your plans.  That is the truest thing they ever wrote.  The jobs for which I have been applying have not come through at all.  The job I actually obtained is the very job I didn't apply for because I thought I wasn't qualified.  I can't do it.  That is what I said.  All those jobs in the education department, I doubted and skipped over and I am definitely working at an educational facility.


Money is not everything.  In my small universe, money is not anything...but a lie.  To participate in this culture, you have to have money - to live, to be clothed, to eat, to move, to be stationary, to gain weight, to lose weight, etc.  And that is okay.  But for some reason, money in this culture is just a means to amassing lots of extravagant, big, spiritually valueless things.

I sound like a "hippie" which I resent actually.  Living 'naturally', being self sufficient, making my own things, not using (disavowing really) chemicals is not being a hippie.  It's being Afrakan.  The Afrakans lived and continue to live this way.  The hippies were just some bored White kids who caught on (although I would have liked to be a hippie).

This year I have vowed to learn to do a lot of things on my own.  I am becoming more and more and more Afrakan everyday and part of our culture in Salone (because industry is limited) is being self-sufficient.  Not everyone is self-sufficient by any means, hence the condition of a significant portion of Afraka.  However, if there is a particular item or service you just must have, you better be able to do it yourself for there aren't stores and malls and organizations available to provide such things for you.

Therefore, in 2010, I will be learning to do and make many things on my own that I have been taking for granted and buy wherever is most convenient.  And not because I am used to a particular standard of living that I want to take back to Afraka with me but because I am used to a particular standard of expression and consumption now.  I know better so I must do better.

And! My friend Nicole and I have decided to make a business out of our natural product making endeavors.  We will produce natural hair products, lotions, soaps, and whatever else we can learn to make boo.  By the end of the month, I need to have a business and a draft of a grant.  If you  know anything about business, or anyone who does, just let us know!

This week:
1. buy a tennis racket and balls
2. begin constructing business plan
3. lesson plans for the whole week for my kids (because if they sit still too long they look at me as if they may consume me)
4. finish notes from last week and don't volunteer my ass for any more notes.
5. create an altar
6. look into finding a new apartment
7. buy a new make up bag and all new make up (did I tell you that I lost all my make-up? do you know how mad I was? I can't believe what not having making did to me. I felt shallow and unpretty.  It shall be discussed in a blog entry, coming soon).

Peace, <3

No comments: