Friday, February 5, 2010

Daddy

"Daddy" by Beyonce (duh)

...I want my unborn son to be like Daddy / I want my husband to be like my Daddy / there is no one else like my Daddy / and I thank you for lovin' me...

Snow day number 4,000.  The kids had the day off of school today and I didn't have to go to work (I did pick up that check though!).

I hung out with my new roommates after I did some studying in the library.  They were fun.  Then my Daddy picked me up on his way home from his classes.  I don't know why he didn't cancel them, but whatever.

The adventure began when my Dad picked me up.  We went to my bank to deposit my check but my bank was closing early because of the impending, doomsday snow storm.  So we went to my parents bank so I could deposit it there.  The teller we went to was this nice Indian lady who knows my Mom.  She made small talk about whether or not I went with my Mommy when she went to Sierra Leone.  I told her I'm going in the summer and she said I'm to spoiled to go to Africa, which is true.  Twenty-one years of America spoils you.  Then we picked up pizza for Lima and my cousin MaHawa who babysat him today.

Then Daddy and I went to Chipotle.  I told him he needed to try Chipotle and he agreed to, since he is consistently buying me lunch or dinner from there.

Let me tell you what this man ordered.  My Daddy ordered a burrito with steak, peppers & onions, lettuce and no rice and beans.  I asked him "What's the point of your burrito?"  The lady who was ahead of us busted out laughing at me and my Daddy.

But old man ate his entire burrito in a flash!  That's how his son eats.  Lima doesn't even really chew food for real.

Then we went to Ukrops and bought all these snacks that he and my Mommy eat.  I bought separate stuff for Lima and I because they eat all this strange stuff that I don't think my baby brother should eat.

We finally came home and I was sitting here, dozing off to sleep, I decided to write about my father.  Hanging out with him reminds me of being a little kid, when we were a happier family and I followed him around like I was his shadow.  I thought my Dad was just a little less famous than God (and I still do really).  He knows everything, he does anything for me, and he buys me Chipotle.  That's the way to my heart...Chipotle and Baker's.  Anytime I get mad, I would get food or shoes.

My Daddy has always been my knight in shining armor.  He has always been my hero.  He has always made me smile.  Every second I am with my father, I smile and laugh a genuine smile and laugh.  He is so funny to me.

They say if you laugh too much, expect to cry later.  But I don't believe that will happen as long as my Daddy is around.  

My father has always served as the most brilliant example of a respectable, selfless Black man.  He has always respected and been kind to my mother.  I have never heard him raise his voice at her in my whole life.  He does her laundry, irons her uniforms, gets us ready for school (when we were younger), mediates between me and Mommy (when we were at war), taught me about analytical thinking, the importance of being an educated Black womyn, the importance of compassion, being an activist in the way I live and not just in calculated moments, and most importantly about respecting and loving Afraka.
I should and should have never settled for any man who doesn't make me believe of myself what my father has struggled, coming from the deep poverty of Sierra Leone to make a grand life here, to teach me of my Afrakan queendom.

I love you soooooo much Daddy.

No comments: